Home Current Normal Size Large Size High Contrast English Irish

Browsing by Author "Healy, Patrick"

Jump to: 0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
or enter first few letters:   
Sort by: In order: Results/Page Authors/Record:
Showing results 45 to 64 of 204
PreviewIssue DateTitleAuthor(s)
wm_Harold's Grange Small Tumulus 23.2.2_2.jpg.jpg1988 Harold's Grange Small Tumulus 23.2.2_1; Harold's Grange Small Tumulus 23.2.2_2Healy, Patrick
wm_Hazelhatch Road Bridge over Rail.jpg.jpg1988 Hazelhatch Road Bridge over RailHealy, Patrick
wm_Hellfire Club 1.1.26.jpg.jpg1988 Hellfire Club 1.1; Hellfire Club 1.1.26: In 1725 William 'Speaker' Connolly rebuilt a Neolithic passage tomb on Montpelier Hill as a hunting lodge using both a ready supply of stone on a hill not covered in bogland, and herds of red deer brought there originally by Normans. It later, after its sale on the death of Connolly in 1729, became a place for the meeting of the young men of the Hellfire Club. Stories of depravity and satanic rituals are associated with the place. The only death that can be securely associated with the place is that of Thomas Cobbe, son of the Archbishop of Dublin, who died there in 1751 after a duel. It was damaged by fire mid century and when another lodge was built downhill and further to the north, it was stripped of architectural stone work. It suffered from damage in the 1851 during the visit of Queen Victoria when burning barrels of tar were placed on the roof.Healy, Patrick
wm_Gateway Bolton hall Ballyboden 23.1.20.jpg.jpg1988 House Bolton Hall Ballyboden 23.1.20: gatway to a detached five-bay, two storey Georgian house was built around 1818.Healy, Patrick
wm_House Bolton Hall Ballyboden 23.1.20.jpg.jpg1988 House Bolton Hall Ballyboden 23.1.20: House Bolton Hall Ballyboden 23.1.20: this detached five-bay, two storey Georgian house was built around 1818.Healy, Patrick
wm_House Bolton Hall Ballyboden 23.1.20.jpg.jpg1988 House Bolton Hall Ballyboden 23.1.20: this detached five-bay, two storey Georgian house was built around 1818.Healy, Patrick
wm_House Gateway former Lodge Rathfarnham 23.2.34.jpg.jpg1988 House gateway former Lodge Rathfarnham 23.2.1; House Gateway former Lodge Rathfarnham 23.2.34: this eighteenth century gate lodge and gate were constructed some time in the eighteenth century during the ownership of the Earls of Ely, responsible also for the triumphal arch gate close to the Dodder.Healy, Patrick
wm_House St. Endas Rathfarnham_2.jpg.jpg1992 House St. Endas Rathfarnham; House St. Endas Rathfarnham_1; House St. Endas Rathfarnham_2: this house was built in the late eighteenth century with the name of the Hermitage by the Dublin dentist Edward Hudson. A considerable number of follies were built in the gardens. His son, William Elliot Hudson, born there in 1796 was the next occupier. This scholar was a friend of Charles Gavin Duffy and Thomas Davis, and before he passed on in 1857 he endowed the Royal Irish Academy with a fund for the publication of an Irish dictionary and a collection of books. After a succession of owners and tenants, it finally became the home for Pádraig Pearse's St Enda's, a boys secondary school with a focus on the Irish language, mythology and outdoors. St Enda's was originally located in Cullenwood House, Ranelagh and this move suited the educational focus on the outdoors. Margaret Pearse operated the college after the execution of her brother until 1935 when it closed. Afterwards she lived there until her death in 1968, which after restoration has become a museum and public park.Healy, Patrick
wm_House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_17.jpg.jpg1988 House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_1; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_3; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_4; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_5; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_6; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_7; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_8; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_9; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_10; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_11; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_12; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_13; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_15; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_16; House Terrace Ballyboden 25.2.2_17Healy, Patrick
wm_Ice House in grounds of The Orchard 17.2.39.jpg.jpg1988 Ice House in grounds of The Orchard 17.2.39Healy, Patrick
wm_Kilakee Wedge Tomb in State Forest 1.2.249.jpg.jpg1988 Kilakee Wedge Tomb in State Forest 1.2.249Healy, Patrick
wm_Kilbride Church 18.2.jpg.jpg1988 Kilbride Church 18.2: this little chapel which lies in the middle of a small graveyard and lies between Baldonnel House and Casement Aerodrome. It was dedicated to St Bridget. It belonged to St Patrick's Cathedral and when that was dissolved in 1547 it was described as an old chapel, and together with a cottage had a value of some twelve pence per year, with another mention in 1660 over a dispute over land supposedly taken from the Cathedral by the owner of Kilbride.Healy, Patrick
wm_Kilininny Tower 20.1.17_2.jpg.jpg1988 Kilininny House and Tower 20; Kilininny Tower 20.1.17; Kilininny Tower 20.1.17_2: these remains were once part of the eighteenth century Allenton house, demolished in 1984, which also had until the 1950s the remains of an earlier house attached. The placename in Irish is 'Cill na n-Ingen' or church of the daughters as in early Christian times a monastery was founded there by the daughters of Maclair.Healy, Patrick
wm_Kilmaheddrick Church 18.2.5.jpg.jpg1988 Kilmahuddrick Church 18.2.5: this fifteenth century church belonged to the monks of the Abbey of the Blessed Virgin Mary, dissolved 1539, and was dedicated to St Cuthbert of Lindisfarne. It comprises nave and chancel with a broad arch. An early mention of the church comes in 1186 when one Master Osbertus of Clondalkin gives to the monks the lands of Balichelmer with the chapel and tithes there. After the dissolution of the monastery, the church and the parish of Newgrange was united to the Anglican parishes of Clondalkin and later Tallaght.Healy, Patrick
wm_Kilmateed House 18.2.33.jpg.jpg1988 Kilmateed 18; Kilmateed 18.2.33; Kilmateed 18.2.33_1; Kilmateed 18.2.33_2; Kilmateed 18.2.33_3; Kilmateed 18.2.33_4; Kilmateed House 18.2.33Healy, Patrick
wm_Kilmateed Old Mill 18.2.33.jpg.jpg1988 Kilmateed Mill and Pond 18.2; Kilmateed Old Mill 18.2.33Healy, Patrick
wm_Kiltalown House 21.2.8.jpg.jpg1985 Kiltalown House 21.2.8Healy, Patrick
wm_Kimmage Manor19.2.2.jpg.jpg1988 Kimmage Manor 19.2.2: Kimmage Manor was built sometime around 1890 by Sir Frederick Shaw, Recorder of Dublin from 1830, after whom Whitehall Road was once named, Recorder's Road, or Bothair an Racadair, still the modern name in Irish of the road. Sir Frederick Shaw died in 1876 and his son, the 4th Baronet, moved to Bushy Park House leasing the house to Erskine Chetwode for twenty one years. On its expiry in 1898 Mrs Mary Clayton leased the house in perpetuity. She sold up in 1911 to the Irish Province of the Holy Ghost Order. Extensions were added in 1914 and 1929 and the church was opened as a chapel of ease to Crumlin Parish in 1938. This now serves as a parish church to the more recent Kimmage parish. The original entrance was possibly along a lane that stretched as far as Presentation Convent Terenure, now Greenlea Road.Healy, Patrick
wm_kimmage Manor Staircase19.2.2.jpg.jpg1988 Kimmage Manor staircase 19.2.2: Kimmage Manor was built sometime around 1890 by Sir Frederick Shaw, Recorder of Dublin from 1830, after whom Whitehall Road was once named, Recorder's Road, or Bothair an Racadair, still the modern name in Irish of the road. Sir Frederick Shaw died in 1876 and his son, the 4th Baronet, moved to Bushy Park House leasing the house to Erskine Chetwode for twenty one years. On its expiry in 1898 Mrs Mary Clayton leased the house in perpetuity. She sold up in 1911 to the Irish Province of the Holy Ghost Order. Extensions were added in 1914 and 1929 and the church was opened as a chapel of ease to Crumlin Parish in 1938. This now serves as a parish church to the more recent Kimmage parish. The original entrance was possibly along a lane that stretched as far as Presentation Convent Terenure, now Greenlea Road.Healy, Patrick
wm_King John's Bridge Esker Lucan 17.2.48_1.jpg.jpg1992 King John's Bridge Esker Lucan 17.2.48_1Healy, Patrick
Showing results 45 to 64 of 204