Home Current Normal Size Large Size High Contrast English Irish

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10599/11764

Title: 31-“ Robinson's Arch”, Jerusalem.
Authors: Thomas Mason Optician
Thomas Mason Optician
South Dublin Libraries Local Studies
Keywords: Clondalkin Branch Library
lantern slide
Holy Land
Issue Date: 1910
Publisher: Thomas Mason Optician, 5-6 Dame St Dublin.
Description: Slide 31: one of a collection of lantern slides shown at Clondalkin branch library c 1910. Description given in booklet: Almost at the south-west corner of the temple area three courses of large stones project from the sanctuary wall, and bear the unpoetical name of “Robinson's” Arch. One stone of colossal dimensions measures 38 feet 9 inches, while it weighs over 90 tons, and is the longest, though not the heaviest stone yet met with in the ancient masonry of Jerusalem. It was discovered by Dr. Robinson, an American scholar, that these were the sole vestiges of the ancient arch that used to connect Mount Moriah, on which the temple was built, with Mount Zion-an arch which, in its time, must have been one of the most important buildings in Jerusalem on account of its magnitude as well as of its importance in being the means of communication between the two chief hills of the city.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10599/11764
Latitude: 31.775739
Longitude: 35.234719
Location: Click here to view the location in Google Maps  Google Marker
Appears in Collections:The Holy Land: a reading; a description of a series of lantern slides

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
wm_031_Robinson's Arch Jerusalem.jpgGenerated Web Image2.82 MBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open

View Licence

Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.