Home Current Normal Size Large Size High Contrast English Irish

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10599/7452

Title: The Yellow House, Rathfarnham.
Authors: Swords, Kieran
Keywords: Yellow House
Military Road
1798
Rathfarnham
United Irishman
Willbrook Road
Catholic Church of the Annuciation
Durkan brothers
Walker family
Issue Date: 23-Oct-2005
Description: A public house of this name was marked on Taylor's map of 1816 on the present site of the Church of the Annuciation, directly across Willbrook Road. It is also at the start of the Military Road which commenced from that point and ran as far as Aghavannagh. That was built between 1800 and 1809 under Alexander Taylor and included a series of barracks in the Wicklow Mountains, and was intended to control an area that had sheltered the survivors of the 1798 Rebellion. A Michael Eades is recorded as owning the original premises in 1798 and gave shelter to United Irishman, who eavesdropped on soldiers there, and which resulted in soldiers thrashing the premises in 1804 as a result. The present premises was constructed in 1825 by Mary Murphy. It was operated from 1912 to 1979 by the Walker family and finally came into the possession of the Durkan brothers who extended and refurbished it.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10599/7452
Appears in Collections:South Dublin Libraries Images

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
wm_Yellow House_2.jpgGenerated Web Image658.79 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open

View Licence

Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.