Home Current Normal Size Large Size High Contrast English Irish

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10599/8070

Title: Bella Vista Mill 20.1; Bella Vista Mill Templeogue 20.1.9
Authors: Healy, Patrick
Keywords: Bella Vista Mill
Issue Date: 1992
Description: Bella Vista Mill 20.1; Bella Vista Mill Templeogue 20.1.9: This paper mill was originally built in around 1719 by Daniel Ashworth who leased it at £30 per annum for 99 years from Sir Thomas Domvile. Two years later he petitioned the Irish Parliament seeking protection for his industry. A Dublin paper merchant Thomas Slater next held the lease, and in 1730 obtained a £500 subsidy from Parliament to enable him to construct a third mill. It was reported in 1751 that it had the highest level of paper production in Ireland. Edward Burroughs was the next lessee from 14th December 1765. William McDonnell of Lucan operated the mill from 1803. Joseph McDonnell was the last operator of the mill, from around 1836. His family were prominent in the industry with his brother owning the mill in Saggart, one cousin, Sir Edward McDonnell operating Killeen Paper Mill and another cousin, James McDonnell, operating Old Bawn Paper Mill. Joseph added steam power to supplement the motive power provided by the City Watercourse with the engine house pictured constructed to house the machinery. This investment did not prove successful and in 1876 it closed. The main mill building was demolished in the 1970s.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10599/8070
Appears in Collections:South Dublin Libraries Images

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
wm_Bella Vista Mill 20.1.jpgGenerated Web Image966.11 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open
wm_Bella Vista Mill Templeogue 20.1.9.jpgGenerated Web Image1.08 MBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open

View Licence

Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.