Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10651
Title: South Dublin Village Walks - Clondalkin Stop 14: Grand Canal
Authors: South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies
Keywords: South Dublin Village Walks
Clondalkin
Grand Canal
Issue Date: 3-Sep-2013
Description: South Dublin Village Walks - Clondalkin Stop 14: Grand Canal. Construction of the Grand Canal commenced in 1756 at the 11th lock in Clondalkin. In 1779, twelve miles of the canal were officially opened to traffic. The first barge was owned by Thomas Digby Brooks and plied the route between Dublin, Clondalkin, Gollierstown and Ballyhealy. The Clondalkin stretch of the canal was the scene of a tragedy in December 1792 when eleven people drowned following the sinking of an overcrowded barge. Passenger traffic was carried until 1847 when the railway was introduced. Cargo traffic was carried until 1960 when the last barge made its final journey with a cargo of Guinness destined for Limerick.
URI: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10651
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Heritage Walks Collection

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Step14_Grand_Canal.mp3Heritage Walk Audio1.28 MBUnknownView/Open
wm_Grand-Canal1.jpgGenerated Web Image178.91 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open
wm_Grand-Canal2.jpgGenerated Web Image199.65 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open


This item is protected by original copyright



Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.