Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10659
Title: South Dublin Village Walks - Clondalkin Stop 08: Tully's Castle.
Authors: South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies
Keywords: South Dublin Village Walks
Clondalkin
Tully's Castle
Issue Date: 3-Sep-2013
Description: South Dublin Village Walks - Clondalkin Stop 08: Tully's Castle. This is a small 16th Century tower house, possibly one of the outposts of the Pale. Its origins are mostly undocumented, however the “Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 1899” gives the following information: The name “Castle of Clondalkin”' is applied to Tully's Castle in a number of late eighteenth and early nineteenth century leases, which deal with a place called “The Sheepus”. The Castle was occupied for many years by a family named Tully. […] Since 1761 there has been no great change in [its] appearance. The Sheepus in these leases is referred to as … “ nearly adjoining the Castle of Clondalkin”.
URI: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10659
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Heritage Walks Collection

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Step9_Tully_Castle.mp3Heritage Walk Audio1.13 MBUnknownView/Open
wm_Tullys-Castle1.jpgGenerated Web Image160.61 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open


This item is protected by original copyright



Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.