Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10667
Title: South Dublin Village Walks - Tallaght Step 16: St. Mary's Priory.
Authors: South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies
Keywords: South Dublin Village Walks
Tallaght
St. Dominic Statue
Priory
Issue Date: 5-Sep-2013
Description: South Dublin Village Walks - Tallaght Step 16: St. Mary's Priory. In 1855 the Dominicans, whose history in Ireland goes back to the mid 13th century, founded the Priory of St. Mary on the site of the medieval Castle of Tallaght. The Dominican Order, returning from Lisbon, purchased the lands and buildings from Mr Lentaigne in 1855. They lived in Tallaght House and the towerhouse, saying mass in a converted farm building attached to the towerhouse. In 1864 they opened the present priory building, adding extensions in 1901 and 1957. The oldest part of St Mary’s Priory was built in 1864. In the centre of the lawn to the left is a statue of St. Dominic with a dog at his feet.
URI: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10667
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Heritage Walks Collection

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Stop19_StMaryPriory.mp3Heritage Walk Audio1.1 MBUnknownView/Open
wm_17Priory.jpgGenerated Web Image207.64 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open
wm_17Priory2.jpgGenerated Web Image145.81 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open
wm_17_StDominic.jpgGenerated Web Image147.72 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open


This item is protected by original copyright



Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.