Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10697
Title: South Dublin Village Walks - Rathcoole Step 2: Rathcoole House.
Authors: South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies
Photography: Rocshot.com/Rob O'Connor.
Keywords: South Dublin Village Walks
Rathcoole
Issue Date: 27-Sep-2013
Description: South Dublin Village Walks - Rathcoole Step 2: Rathcoole House. The Rathcoole House Estate was built on this site in 1750 and was owned by the Clinch family. The house you see today was constructed in 1830. During the 1798 rebellion, Patrick Clinch, the owner of Rathcoole House, was accused during a raid by the military authorities, of harbouring a priest in the house contrary to the Penal Laws. When the girls of the house began to be harassed by the soldiers, the priest Father James Harold appeared from his hiding place and John Clinch, the owner’s son, put himself forward as having been responsible for the presence of the priest in the house. At this point he was then wrongly accused of being a sergeant in the rebel army. This allegation was made due to mistaken identity. The real rebel sergeant was another man with the same name residing in Hazlehatch. Despite Clinch’s denials of the latter charge he was hanged in Newgate prison at the same time as Lord Edward Fitzgerald was there dying of wounds. Father Harold was sentenced to transportation to Botany Bay and returned after 12 years to become Parish Priest of Glencullen, Co. Wicklow.
URI: https://hdl.handle.net/10599/10697
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Heritage Walks Collection

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
Stop3_RathcooleEstate.mp3Heritage Walk Audio2.17 MBUnknownView/Open
wm_Step2_RathcooleHouse1.jpgGenerated Web Image195 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open
wm_Step2_RathcooleHouse2.jpgGenerated Web Image194.31 kBJPEGThumbnail
View/Open


This item is protected by original copyright



Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.