Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||South Dublin Village Walks - Lucan Step 14: Vesey Commemorative Stone and “Famine Hole”|
|Authors:||South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies|
Photography: Rocshot.com/Rob O'Connor.
|Keywords:||South Dublin Village Walks|
Vesey Commemorative Stone
|Description:||South Dublin Village Walks - Lucan Step 14: Vesey Commemorative Stone and “Famine Hole”. Carved stone block carrying the inscription: "This bridge built by Agm Vesey for ye public in ye year 1773" There is a bricked-up hole in the wall beside it. Local lore has this as being a so-called “Famine Hole”, used during the 1840s as a means for the residents of Lucan House to distribute alms to the local famine victims. However Mary Mulhall,a local historian, “Treasures of Lucan” disputes this, stating that there is no historical evidence of it ever having been used for this purpose.|
|Copyright:||South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies|
|Appears in Collections:||Published Items|
South Dublin Heritage Walks Collection
Files in This Item:
|wm_Famine Hole.jpg||Generated Web Image||2.21 MB||JPEG|
|lucan_Step14_StoneBlockFamineHole.mp3||Heritage Walk Audio||1.12 MB||Unknown||View/Open|
This item is protected by original copyright
Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.