Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||South Dublin Village Walks - Templeogue Step 6: Templeogue Bridge|
|Authors:||South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies|
Photography: Rocshot.com/Rob O'Connor.
|Keywords:||South Dublin Village Walks|
Austin Clarke Bridge
|Description:||South Dublin Village Walks - Templeogue Step 6:Templeogue Bridge was first erected around 1800 under the direction of Mr. Birmingham of Delaford, details of which were recorded on an oval stone tablet set into the parapet. This had latterly become so weathered as to be undecipherable. The bridge was an attractive three-arched structure and below, the river passed over a series of steps which were constructed to prevent the foundations of the piers from being washed away. Before the bridge was built, travellers wishing to cross the Dodder River, which flows beneath, were forced to use a ford half a mile further up river. On the Butterfield side of the bridge was Bridge House. Sheltered by a plantation, this was the home of the poet, Austin Clarke. After his death in 1974, there was a proposal to preserve the house and the library of 6,500 books as a memorial to him. Unfortunately, long term plans were in operation to demolish the house and widen the road. As a result, both the bridge and Bridge House were cleared away and a new bridge opened in 1984, which was named after Austin Clarke.|
|Copyright:||South Dublin Libraries - Local Studies|
|Appears in Collections:||Published Items|
South Dublin Heritage Walks Collection
Files in This Item:
|wm_TempBridge.jpg||Generated Web Image||814.48 kB||JPEG|
|wm_TempBridge2.jpg||Generated Web Image||843.48 kB||JPEG|
|Stop6_TempleogueBridge.mp3||Heritage Walk Audio||2.21 MB||Unknown||View/Open|
This item is protected by original copyright
Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.