Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Pearse Bridge over the Dodder
Authors: Swords, Kieran
Keywords: bridge
Issue Date: 23-Oct-2005
Description: DSC_2375; DSC_2376; DSC_2378; DSC_2380; DSC_2381: The Pearse Bridge was renamed from the Dodder Bridge in honour of Pádraig and William Pearse after widening of the west side. This single arch stone bridge was first constructed in 1765 and was the last of a series of bridges from 1381 onwards. The road follows the route of the ancient Slighe Chualann. Confirmation of the significance of the route was provided during main drainage works in 1912 when a series of large block crossing the course of the river were found with parallel groves worn into the stone from the action of wheeled vehicles.
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Libraries Images

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
wm_DSC_2375.jpgGenerated Web Image1.05 MBJPEGThumbnail
wm_DSC_2376.jpgGenerated Web Image1.08 MBJPEGThumbnail
wm_DSC_2377.jpgGenerated Web Image1.11 MBJPEGThumbnail
wm_DSC_2380.jpgGenerated Web Image1.13 MBJPEGThumbnail
wm_DSC_2381.jpgGenerated Web Image450.53 kBJPEGThumbnail

This item is protected by original copyright

Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.