Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Knocklyon Castle
Authors: Healy, Patrick
Keywords: Knocklyon Castle
Issue Date: 1992
Description: Knocklyon Castle 20.1.6_1: This country house of around 1840 is built around a three storey tower fifteenth tower house. It was built in the marches of the Pale to defend the Lordship against the raids of the O'Byrnes and O'Tooles. John Burnell was owner until 1575. Next John Bathe, Attorney General and later Chancellor of the Exchequer until 1586 was owned it. Captain Anthony Deering acquired it in 1586 when it was in a ruinous state. A reconstruction took place in 1620 when Adam Loftus, builder of Rathfarnham Castle leased it to Peirce Archibald. William 'Speaker' Connolly leased it in 1723 to the Ledwich family. Afterwards in 1826, it was purchased by the McGrane family who live there for close to a century. Finally the Shouldice family purchased in 1974 keeping the castle, but selling the surrounding land for housing.
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Libraries Images

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
wm_Knocklyon Castle 20.1.6_1.jpgGenerated Web Image1.09 MBJPEGThumbnail

This item is protected by original copyright

Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.