Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: St. Endas Rathfarnham
Authors: Healy, Patrick
Keywords: Hermitage
Edward Hudson
Patrick Pearse
Pádraig Pearse
William Elliot Hudson
Margaret Pearse
Pearse Museum
St Enda's Park
Pearse Park
Issue Date: 1992
Description: House St. Endas Rathfarnham; House St. Endas Rathfarnham_1; House St. Endas Rathfarnham_2: this house was built in the late eighteenth century with the name of the Hermitage by the Dublin dentist Edward Hudson. A considerable number of follies were built in the gardens. His son, William Elliot Hudson, born there in 1796 was the next occupier. This scholar was a friend of Charles Gavin Duffy and Thomas Davis, and before he passed on in 1857 he endowed the Royal Irish Academy with a fund for the publication of an Irish dictionary and a collection of books. After a succession of owners and tenants, it finally became the home for Pádraig Pearse's St Enda's, a boys secondary school with a focus on the Irish language, mythology and outdoors. St Enda's was originally located in Cullenwood House, Ranelagh and this move suited the educational focus on the outdoors. Margaret Pearse operated the college after the execution of her brother until 1935 when it closed. Afterwards she lived there until her death in 1968, which after restoration has become a museum and public park.
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Libraries Images

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
wm_House St. Endas Rathfarnham_2.jpgGenerated Web Image641.15 kBJPEGThumbnail
wm_House St. Endas Rathfarnham_1.jpgGenerated Web Image641.15 kBJPEGThumbnail
wm_House St. Endas Rathfarnham.jpgGenerated Web Image641.15 kBJPEGThumbnail

This item is protected by original copyright

Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.