Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorHealy, Patricken_IE
dc.coverage.temporalc. 1988en_IE
dc.identifier.otherwm_Finnstown Castle 17.2.24.jpgen_IE
dc.descriptionFinnstown Castle 17.2.24: the townland was earlier known as Fine's Town or Fyanstown either after the Dublin merchant family who owned land centred on the castle and house or one Finn of Cloncurry, brother of the bishop of Kildare who was granted land in the area in the thirteenth century. Joseph Brown inhabited it in 1622. Next the Nottingham and Kennedy families owned it until outcome of the Jacobite wars forced Christopher Kennedy and his son Thomas Kennedy into exile. The owner in 1837 was John Rorke, a Dublin solicitor. After that, from the 1860s, the Nash family of Cork owned Finnstown House until 1918. This family operated a mineral water and ginger beer business. Until the 1960s, the Crowley family owned the house and farmed the surrounding land. They in turn sold to the Keogh family and finally in 1986 it was sold to Nora and Eoin Hickey who opened the hotel the following year.en_IE
dc.relationSouth Dublin Imagesen_IE
dc.subjectFinnstown Castleen_IE
dc.titleFinnstown Castleen_IE
Appears in Collections:Published Items
South Dublin Libraries Images

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
wm_Finnstown Castle 17.2.24.jpgGenerated Web Image764.23 kBJPEGThumbnail

This item is protected by original copyright

Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.