Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Description:||Finnstown Castle 17.2.24: the townland was earlier known as Fine's Town or Fyanstown either after the Dublin merchant family who owned land centred on the castle and house or one Finn of Cloncurry, brother of the bishop of Kildare who was granted land in the area in the thirteenth century. Joseph Brown inhabited it in 1622. Next the Nottingham and Kennedy families owned it until outcome of the Jacobite wars forced Christopher Kennedy and his son Thomas Kennedy into exile. The owner in 1837 was John Rorke, a Dublin solicitor. After that, from the 1860s, the Nash family of Cork owned Finnstown House until 1918. This family operated a mineral water and ginger beer business. Until the 1960s, the Crowley family owned the house and farmed the surrounding land. They in turn sold to the Keogh family and finally in 1986 it was sold to Nora and Eoin Hickey who opened the hotel the following year.|
|Appears in Collections:||Published Items|
South Dublin Libraries Images
Files in This Item:
|wm_Finnstown Castle 17.2.24.jpg||Generated Web Image||764.23 kB||JPEG|
This item is protected by original copyright
Items in Source are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.